Mary Berry Coconut Cake Recipe: If there’s one name synonymous with exquisite baking and delightful desserts, it’s Mary Berry. The legendary British baker and TV personality has won the hearts of millions with her charming presence and mouthwatering recipes.
Among her countless creations, the Mary Berry Coconut Cake stands out as a true delight for coconut lovers. This delectable cake brings together the rich flavors of coconut and the unmatched expertise of Mary Berry.
In this article, we will explore the ingredients and steps to create this heavenly treat that will surely be the highlight of any gathering.
Before embarking on the baking journey, gather the following ingredients:
For the Cake:
- 225g (8oz) softened unsalted butter
- 225g (8oz) caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 225g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 75g (2.6oz) desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp milk
For the Filling and Topping:
- 100g (3.5oz) softened unsalted butter
- 225g (8oz) icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g (5.3oz) cream cheese
- 50g (1.8oz) desiccated coconut, toasted
- Preparing the Cake Batter:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease two 20cm (8-inch) round cake tins with butter. Line the bottoms with parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the softened butter and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy using an electric mixer or whisk. This should take about 3-4 minutes.
- Gradually beat in the eggs, one at a time, ensuring they are well incorporated into the mixture.
- Sift the self-raising flour and baking powder into the bowl and gently fold the dry ingredients into the batter. Be careful not to overmix.
- Add the desiccated coconut and milk to the mixture, folding them in until the batter is smooth and even.
- Baking the Cake:
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake tins.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool in the tins for a few minutes. Then, transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Preparing the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- While the cakes are cooling, prepare the cream cheese frosting. In a bowl, beat the softened butter until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the icing sugar to the butter and mix until well combined. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add the cream cheese to the mixture and beat until the frosting is smooth and fluffy. If the frosting is too thick, add a tablespoon or two of milk to achieve the desired consistency.
- Assembling the Cake:
- Once the cakes have cooled, place one of the cakes on a serving plate or cake stand.
- Spread a generous layer of the cream cheese frosting over the top of the first cake using a spatula or palette knife.
- Carefully place the second cake on top of the frosted layer, creating a sandwich effect.
- Cover the top and sides of the cake with the remaining frosting, smoothing it out for an even finish.
- Decorating the Cake:
- To add a final touch of coconut goodness, sprinkle the toasted desiccated coconut over the top of the cake, gently pressing it onto the frosting to adhere.
- For an extra touch of elegance, you can garnish the cake with fresh coconut shavings or edible flowers.
FAQs – Mary Berry Coconut Cake
What is Mary Berry Coconut Cake?
Mary Berry Coconut Cake is a delectable dessert recipe created by the renowned British baker and TV personality, Mary Berry. It features a tender coconut-flavored sponge cake filled and frosted with a luxurious cream cheese frosting. The cake is then topped with toasted desiccated coconut, adding a delightful crunch and enhancing the coconut flavor.
How difficult is it to make Mary Berry Coconut Cake?
While Mary Berry’s recipes are known for their reliability and ease of execution, this coconut cake is relatively simple to make. The recipe involves basic baking techniques, making it accessible to both novice and experienced bakers. Following the instructions closely will result in a delicious and impressive cake.
Can I use fresh coconut instead of desiccated coconut?
Yes, you can use fresh coconut in this recipe. However, it’s essential to grate the fresh coconut finely to ensure it incorporates well into the cake batter and frosting. Keep in mind that the texture and flavor may differ slightly from using desiccated coconut.
Can I make the cream cheese frosting in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the cream cheese frosting ahead of time. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. Before using, allow the frosting to come to room temperature, and if needed, give it a gentle stir to restore its creamy consistency.
Can I freeze Mary Berry Coconut Cake?
Yes, you can freeze the cake either as a whole or in individual slices. Wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then place it in an airtight container or freezer bag. It can be frozen for up to 2-3 months. Thaw the cake in the refrigerator overnight before serving.
Can I modify the recipe to make it gluten-free?
Yes, you can adapt the recipe to make it gluten-free by using a gluten-free self-raising flour blend. Ensure that all other ingredients used are also certified gluten-free to avoid any cross-contamination.
What occasions are ideal for serving Mary Berry Coconut Cake?
Mary Berry’s Coconut Cake is perfect for a wide range of occasions, from casual gatherings to special celebrations. It makes a delightful centerpiece for birthday parties, afternoon teas, baby showers, and family gatherings. Its tropical flavor also makes it an excellent choice for summer events.
How long can the finished cake be stored?
Once assembled, the coconut cake can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Bring it to room temperature before serving for the best taste and texture.
Can I add other ingredients, such as fruit or nuts, to the cake?
Absolutely! While Mary Berry’s original recipe is a coconut lover’s dream, you can get creative and add your favorite ingredients. Chopped nuts, such as toasted almonds or macadamias, or tropical fruits like mango or pineapple can complement the coconut flavors beautifully.
Can I make the cake eggless for vegetarians?
Yes, you can make the cake eggless by using suitable egg substitutes, such as applesauce, mashed bananas, or commercial egg replacers. Adjust the quantity based on the substitute’s guidelines for replacing four large eggs.
Remember, Mary Berry’s Coconut Cake is meant to be enjoyed heartily, and don’t hesitate to add your personal touch to make it uniquely yours!
Mary Berry Coconut Cake Recipe is a true testament to her culinary prowess and passion for baking. With its tender crumb, rich coconut flavor, and luscious cream cheese frosting, this cake is a slice of heaven for anyone with a sweet tooth. Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or simply indulging in a delightful treat, this recipe is guaranteed to impress and satisfy.
So, next time you want to delight your loved ones with an unforgettable dessert, follow Mary Berry Coconut Cake Recipe, and watch as it becomes an instant crowd-pleaser. With Mary’s expert guidance, baking this cake will be a delightful journey that culminates in a heavenly masterpiece. Enjoy every delectable bite!